Sunday, March 11, 2012

Bacon and Scallop Pizza

So this week was a bacon challenge week and one thing I have always wanted to recreate was the bacon and scallop pizza. Its delicious awesomeness. This is also my first pizza ever. I don't have a pizza stone. If you do, use it. Instead I used the back of my jelly roll pan with a piece of parchment on top. I also chose to a little less fuss by using pre-cooked bacon. Bay scallops are my favorite for little quick cooking nuggets of sweetness. I tried for a little bit of health with low fat mozzarella and whole wheat in the crust but with bacon on top, really, who was I kidding? This is done Sicilian style with a quick crust that's ready in an hour. Next time I think I'll try for a thin crust.



Bacon and Scallop Pizza

Dough:
3 cups all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp italian seasoning
1 tsp dried minced garlic
2 tsp instant yeast
1 tsp baking powder
1.5 tsp salt
2 tblsp grapeseed oil
1.5 cups room temperature beer (I used Sam Adams Oatmeal Stout)

Topping: (These measurements are approximate. Feel free to load up your pizza as you'd like)
1 cup spaghetti sauce
1 cup low fat shredded mozzarella
1 cup mixed shredded italian cheeses
6 strips precooked bacon cut into half inch long slices
1.5 cups bay scallops

Mix all the dough ingredients together in a stand mixer with a dough hook until you get a nice smooth dough, about 10 minutes. Let stand for 1 to 2 hours.

Start reheating oven to 475F. Roll out dough to fit the back of a half sheet jelly roll pan. Turn the pan upside down and lay a sheet of parchment paper over it. Place the dough on the pan. Prick it all over with a fork. Bake dough for 5 minutes. Take out and spread the spaghetti sauce all over. Top with the cheeses then the bacon and scallops. Place back into oven and bake for another 15 minutes until the scallops are opaque and the cheese melty. Eat as soon as you can bear to hold the piping hot dough.

1 comment: