Monday, February 11, 2013

Healthier Chicken Pot Pie?

To say it simply snowed this weekend would be an understatement. It blizzarded. It closed down the city roads and blacked out large portions of town. It almost ruined my Lunar New Year. We didn't get to have the big family gathering I had come to expect or the many delicious dinners mom would churn out. I got my car stuck just trying to reach my parents so I could give them some treats to ensure their year started out with plenty of good things. It was literally a drive by since there was no where to park. I did not get to walk away with giant bags of goodies as I have historically been able to. After a harrowing journey home I need something to treat myself to for the New Year and something to comfort myself with however I didn't want to go crazy with the calories since I was stuck indoors with almost nothing to do. I looked around to see what supplies I had and came up with this (slightly) healthier version of a chicken pot pie that's still lazy and cheaty. The crust on top was only ok but the filling was just as good as the real thing.



(Healthier) Chicken Pot Pie

Crust:
2 cups Carbquik
1/2 cup almond milk
1 tsp basil
1 tsp onion powder
1.5 tsp baking powder

Filling:
2 roasted chicken breasts cooled and cubed
1 16oz bag of mixed frozen veggies
1 can 99% fat free condensed mushroom soup
1 can 99% fat free condensed garlic mushroom soup

Heat oven to 350F. Run veggies under hot water in a sieve until defrosted. Drain. Add to chicken and mix with the two cans of soup. Pour the whole mess into an 8 inch round pan. Mix all the crust ingredients in a seperate bowl. Turn out onto a large surface and knead together into a ball. If its too dry and won't hold together, sprinkle on a little water at a time. Try to knead it as little as possible. Roll out into a circle to fit over the top of the pan. Lay on the crust and bake for 40 minutes until bubbly and golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment