Monday, April 4, 2011

Sickly

I didn't do much cooking this weekend. I spent most of it on the couch with a vat of ice cream to soothe a sore throat and an IV drip of OJ direct into my veins as I vacillated between drugged slumber and watching bad movies on Netflix streaming. I did rouse myself enough to make me some konnyaku. This is nothing new and I've done it before but it makes for a nice light treat. Supposedly its good for you, high in fiber and its rumored to lower cholesterol. Its a sort of chewy jelly, not like the classic american jello. I admit this is an old picture but the one I made this weekend was just the same as I mold them in my ice cube tray.


Rose & Honey Konnyaku Jelly

10 grams konnyaku powder
900 ml water
4 rose tea bags (or equivalent)
honey

Bring water with tea bags in it to a boil. Let steep for about 15 minutes. Fish out bags pressing on them to release the tea. Add honey to taste. Try to make it just a little sweeter than you'd prefer the jelly to be because it tastes less sweet when cooled. Why? I dunno. It just does. You can also add some food coloring now if you'd prefer. Bring tea back to a boil. Add in konnyaku powder, whisking fiercely to prevent lumps and let it boil for 10 minutes. I always get a few tiny lumps because I am sucky at whisking and pouring at the same time so at this point I pour through a strainer. You can skip this step if you think you're lump free. This never happens to my mother! Pour into molds or just into a cake pan. Let cool and unmold. If you poured it into a cake pan you can unmold and cut into bite size pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment