Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Trying to conquer India

So I am a spice wimp. I can't not take even too much pepper in my food. Go ahead. Laugh at the foodie who can't enjoy spicy. I have tried. For years I tried. This has resulted in a viscious cycle I am now well acquainted with and have decided to avoid. I eat something even slightly spicy, I get a sore throat the next day, by next evening its a mild fever, I go see the doctor, the doctor gives me antibiotics which I'm on for 2 weeks, I am gradually cured while sucking on way too many popsicles. This is not ideal however I have a second weakness, for Indian food. Its delicious with its combinations and layers of flavors while at the same time extremely comforting. I have since conquered my shame of emphasizing at the waitstaff taking my order "REALLY REALLY REALLY MILD ok?" but figured it was time to try taking on Indian cuisine. I've been circling it for a while now, trying individual spices, developing one heckuva addiction to cumin, but never really taken it straight on. This weekend I made a classic, Goat Vindaloo. The challenge this week was spinach so it seemed to fit right in. OK so I added a little too MUCH spinach to my dish. I hope you show a little more restraint than me. A warning, this is best done as a two day dish.


Goat Vindaloo

4 lbs goat shoulder cut into chunks
1/2 a head of garlic minced
50 gram minced ginger
6 medium onions finely diced
2 tsp salt
1 tbsp tumeric
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp red chili powder
1 tbsp ground coriander
1 tsp garam masala
1 can of chopped tomatoes (15 oz)
4 green chillis (optional, I left these out as the spice wimp)
1 bag frozen chopped spinach leaves
3 tbsp oil

Heat up a dutch oven until over medium till hot. Add goat pieces and brown on all sides. Remove. Add in onion, garlic, and ginger. Cook until onions are soft and beginning to brown. Add in salt, tumeric, cumin, chili powder, coriander, chilis, and tomatoes. Stir until well combined. Add back in goat piece and cook on low until tender about 3 hours. Take off heat and let cool before sticking in fridge over night. Next day, remove layer of hardened fat. Heat back up and stir in spinach until its just heated through and wilted. Add garam marsala and heat for another 10 minutes. Scoop out and serve with naan.

(In the pic I've added a little quinoa to mine to make a one dish meal. This is optional and definitely not traditional.)

No comments:

Post a Comment