Sunday, May 15, 2011

Corn Challenge

Corn is one of those things I think of as pretty much perfect grilled and slathered with good butter. Nothing finicky, just simple goodness but when this corn challenge came up and I browsed through all the pictures and recipes online, I began to recall all the sheer variety of corn based things I've had over the years. Polenta cakes in many forms, grits, succotash, salsa, and bread. Corn might be best simple but it doesn't have to be simple. One of the best complicated forms of corn I've had over the years is tamales. They are delicious corny doughy nuggets full of goodness however I was unable to locate the much needed corn husks so I went for the next best thing, tamale pie! I was especially excited since its something I've never tried before and it turned out better than I hope. Bits of meaty goodness intertwined with spices and the sweetness of corn kernels under the crispy crust of cheddary corn bread. It's like a dream of comfort food heaven right?



Tamale Pie

(I will not give a recipe for the corn bread topping. Use your favorite.)

1.5-2lb pork shoulder
5 poblano peppers (roasted with skin removed and roughly chopped)
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp celery seed
2 tsp oregano
1 cup small diced onion
4 cloves garlic minced
1 28oz can diced tomatoes
1 15oz can of corn
1 10oz box of frozen white corn kernel (defrosted)
1 16oz jar salsa verde
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Trim pork shoulder. Brown on all sides except the skin in a skillet over medium heat. Toss into crock pot with the peppers (I admit I subbed bell peppers except for one poblano because I am a spicy wimp but the poblanos add amazing flavor and should be used if possible), spices, onion, garlic, and tomatoes. Cook on low for 8-10 hours or until the pork is so tender it falls apart to your fork. Remove pork from crock and discard any clinging skin or fat. Using two forks, shred the pork. Drain the contents of the crock through a sieve. Add the onion, pepper, and tomato bits back into the pork. Puree the can of corn. Stir into the pork. Stir the salsa into the pork. Taste and season with salt as needed. Spread filling out in a 9 inch square pan. Layer on top the defrosted corn kernels, your favorite corn bread batter, and then the shredded cheddar cheese. Bake at 400F for 40-50 minutes on the lowest shelf until the top turns golden brown. Let cool for 10 mins before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment