Sunday, January 8, 2012

Lapin aux Pruneaux

It sounds better than bunny n prunes right? Never had rabbit before? Give it a try. Its got the smooth richness of dark meat chicken without any of that fatty feeling. I haven't seen them much around the standard supermarkets here but frozen ones are readily available in the asian marts. When I first came across this recipe I was excited to see a savory main dish use for the humble prune. I couldn't wait to give it a try. It melts into the sauce and thickens it while adding just a touch of sweetness. I'm going to be using this prune trick more often in the future. The original recipe is found in one of my favorite blogs here and for once I followed it pretty true except for the finishing touch which she does state is optional. My bunny did not come with any liver. Never has in the past either...


Lapin aux Pruneaux


One rabbit, cut into six to eight serving parts
1 tbsp butter (I used some rendered duck fat)
3-4 large shallots, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
15-20 prunes
1/2 cup shaoxing wine
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 tsp dried thyme
1 bay leaf
salt & pepper to taste

Melt butter in braising pan big enough to hold all the rabbit pieces in a single layer. Brown the rabbit pieces and set aside. In the same pan, add shallots and garlic and cook until the garlic is fragrant and the shallots translucent. Add thyme, bay leaf, wine and chicken stock. Boil until reduced by half. Add back in the rabbit pieces and prunes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Braise over a medium low heat for 45 minutes. Plate rabbit pieces and continue to cook the sauce for about another 5 minutes over medium high heat until thickened. Pour over the rabbit and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment