Saturday, January 21, 2012

Osmanthus Jelly

Its Lunar New Year so I'm following my family's tradition of basically me making a bunch of delicious things, packing them into little boxes, and bringing them over to my parents' house to be enjoyed by all before settling down to hot pot dinner. This year I've started with osmanthus jelly. Why osmanthus? Years of perfect product placement finally got to me. I've always loved watching historical Hong Kong movies. Great costumes, melodrama, and wire-fu. What's not to love? And in those movies the rich or royal ladies would always be snacking on osmanthus cakes. Supposedly the fragrance was heavenly (it is!) and some magical substance in the tiny osmanthus blossoms would make your skin beautiful. I've always been DYING to try some of those royal dishes and while I haven't figured out the perfect recipe for the cakes yet, jelly seemed easy enough to tackle.



Osmanthus Jelly


10 grams konnyaku powder
950 ml water
4 tsp dried osmanthus flowers
1/4 cup honey
sugar to taste

Add flowers to the water. Bring to a boil. Turn off and leave covered for 30 minutes. Bring back to a boil. Add honey then enough sugar to taste a bit sweeter than preferred. Add powder and let boil for 8 minutes while whisking occasionally. Pour out into molds and it will set as it cools.

No comments:

Post a Comment