Sunday, August 7, 2011

Faux Gumbo

I call this my faux gumbo because really it changes every time I make it and I've never tasted real gumbo so who knows how much I'm killing the real thing? I make it to my tastes and its extremely versatile. Some things like a nice dark roux to start are a must but you can switch around the veggies, meat, etc as you like and generally I just dump in whatever I have on hand. Its one of the best kinds of warm satisfying comfort foods though and I wouldn't have it any other way.


Faux Gumbo


1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup flour
1 onion finely diced
3 garlic cloves minced
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp celery seed
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup white wine
1 28 oz can chopped tomatoes
1 turkey kielbasa cut into 1/4 inch rounds (you can sub this with any meat you like. I often use chicken thigh meat cut into chunks or whole shrimp)
1 bag frozen okra
1 bag frozen zucchini

Cook the flour and oil whisking gently all the while until the roux grows into a dark caramel color. Be careful not to burn it. Add in onion and garlic and cooked until onion has softened. Add in chili, celery seed, white wine, broth and tomatoes. Bring to a boil while stirring. Add in kielbasa. Cover and cook on a medium low flame for 20 mins. Add in okra and zucchini. Cook uncovered for another 20 mins over a medium high flame, stirring occasionally. Serve over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment