Sunday, August 7, 2011

Yellow carrots? WHOA.

So I finally found my way to a farmer's market I might be able to make regular trips to. Of course the season is almost over but I intend to do what I can to make it there as much as possible. I've been aware for a while now that carrots come in different colors but as far as I knew simply tasted carrot-y. Like the classic orange ones do. Now I'm not sure if it was the winning smile on the teen trying to sell me on them, the fact that they were local and farm fresh, or the fact that they were yellow but the soup I got from them was superbly sweet. Almost a dessert. Its a beautiful golden color and melts in your mouth with a buttery carroty sweetness. I took my time savoring it all week. Its a simple recipe and I've made it often with regular carrots as well so if you can't find yellow ones, don't despair.


Carrot Soup

1 lb carrots sliced into thick 3/4 inch chunks
chicken broth
1 tsp sage
salt & pepper to taste

Add carrots to pot and add in just enough broth to barely reach the top of the chunks. Add in sage. Bring to a boil then lower flame to simmer for 20-30 mins or until carrots are soft. Blend into a thick puree. Add more broth if it seems too thick to you. Add salt & pepper to taste. Bring back to a boil, stir, then serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment